Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Sayaka Abe

The Pocket World






Carrying used to be my habit.

I carried books, toys, pictures, music, toy jewelry, colored pens, candy papers,
beads, letters and many other things...

As I grew up these habits became my self expression, protection
and even became a tool of communication.

This habit brought me to make jewelry as “portable precious objects”.

I am looking for my own useful way to express it.





past works

A Big Wig(2008)


3D objects taken from a drawing. When the drawing is reborn as an object, the balance of volume between objects and the body is triggered. The texture of material is also important.






Sari Scape (2007)


A Nepalese boy Atish and I walked in Kathmandu in the old city, and we quickly reacted to the various different places and created the spaces with the saris. I wondered if we could add something to the city even just for a short time in order to create a new landscape. I wished that we could create even a meeting point between Nepal, the Netherlands and Japan in the city.





CV

2009   Graduated from Jewelry department at Gerrit Rietveld Academie in Amsterdam, the Netherlands
2009   ‘The pocket worlds’ solo exhibition at Kennedy van der laan lawyer office
2009   Francoise van den Bosch Foundation award, nominated
2008   ‘Ned- Nep Cultural exchange project’ exhibition at Lloyd Hotel & Cultural Embassy, Amsterdam, the Netherlands
2007–   ‘eco-nut coconut jewelry project’ in Cambodia
2006–2007   Internship with Jewelry Artist, Iris Nieuwenburg and space designer Jozefien Groenheid in Amsterdam, the Netherlands
2006   Exchange Student at Konstfack in Stockholm, Sweden
2004   Graduated from Ceramics Department at Tama Art univ. in Tokyo, Japan
1980   Born in Mie, Japan




Contact

website:   www.sayaka.nl
mail:   info@sayaka.nl

No comments:

Post a Comment